Hard to believe, but it's time to set goals for 2013. This year I have two goals I'm almost afraid to put in writing; they involve race times that I'm truly not sure if I can hit, but I know I need to go for it because I want it. The rest of the goals are important for my overall well-being as a runner and for pure enjoyment of the sport.
1. Run a sub-2 hour half marathon. Is this in reach yet? I'm not sure, but it's my ultimate goal and I have to work for it. Even if it doesn't happen in 2013, I think it'll happen in the future. To do this I need to cut 7 minutes from my half marathon PR, and I intend to hit track and speed workouts hard this year to make it happen.
2. PR in the 5K with a 26:xx. I haven't run a 5K in a couple of years, mostly because I don't like running to feel so painful. I'm an aerobic pace girl, what can I say? My 5K PR of 28:19 was set in February 2010, and I should at least be able to beat that one now fairly easily. However, hitting a 26:xx requires me to actually work on speed and push hard during the race, and that's the real meat of this goal. I must learn to get out of my comfort zone and give it my all. Dare I say, learn to RACE.
3. Run 1000 miles. I started keeping tabs on mileage more in 2012, and I will actually hit 1000 miles this year somewhat unexpectedly. So why not set this goal officially for 2013? I need to stay on track and stick to increasing mileage to make it happen again.
4. Run a trail half marathon. I've been loving trail running, and I want to expand my race events into trail this year. I'm kicking it off with the Crystal Springs trail half marathon next weekend! This race was an 11 mile when I signed up and wouldn't have met this goal, but they revised the course so now I'll hit this one early. I have no time goal on the trail race because I know it'll be more laid back and slower. The plan? Enjoy running for the awesomeness of nature.
5. Strength train 2x per week. Now that I started strength training regularly again during 2012, I need to stick with it. I plan to continue going to Barre class and BodyPump, and we also do some strength and core work during my weekly track workout class.
Happy New Year all, cheers to 2013!